- Manipur’s Digital Blackout: Internet Shutdown is an Assault on Justice and Fundamental Rights ()
On 19 July 2023, a video went viral on X (formerly Twitter) showing two women from Manipur’s Kangpokpi district being paraded naked by a mob of hundreds of men. The footage sparked outrage across political spectrums. Netizens voiced their anguish and dismay regarding the treatment of the women as well as the fact that this […]
- Four of the World’s Top 10 Populous Countries Driving IPv6 Adoption ()
With the two largest populations in the world, India and China are also boasting the most IPv6 users in the world.
- Internet Shutdowns to Prevent Cheating During Exams is a Disproportionate Measure ()
High Court in India Challenges Internet Shutdown Order in West Bengal By Tanmay Singh, Internet Freedom Foundation and Anandita Mishra, Internet Freedom Foundation On 8 March, 2022, a resident of Calcutta in India challenged an Internet suspension order, which was issued by the State Government of West Bengal on 3 March, 2022. The order, ostensibly […]
- India Shuts Down the Internet in West Bengal to Prevent Cheating During School Exams ()
Note: After this blog post was published, the High Court of Calcutta dismissed the order to shutdown the Internet in West Bengal. Read more about how quick legal action meant that hundreds of thousands of citizens in West Bengal were able to stay online in this blog post. Over the last few years, a worrying […]
- Internet Society India – Hyderabad Chapter: Internet Measurements, Global Policy and Online Privacy Workshop ()
“If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it” – Lord Kelvin On November 11, 2021. The Internet Society India – Hyderabad Chapter organized a one-day workshop on Internet Measurements, Global Policy and Online Privacy. Held in virtual mode, the workshop was moderated by Internet Society Pulse Internet Resilience expert, Amreesh Phokeer, and was attended […]
- 11 Nov, 2021: Internet Society India Hyderabad Chapter Workshop on Internet Measurement ()
The Internet Society India Hyderabad Chapter Workshop on Internet Measurement will take place on 11 November, 2021, at 04:30 UTC. The workshop will provide an overview of the Internet ecosystem in India and in the region using an Internet measurement lens and will focus on global routing and privacy considerations. Register here.
- Understanding India’s Internet Shutdowns ()
India is widely considered to be the world’s largest democracy, yet it also holds the dubious distinction of having the highest number of Internet shutdowns worldwide. In 2020 alone, 109 shutdowns occurred in the country. By contrast, the nation with the second highest number of shutdowns (Yemen), had only six. The Indian government typically justifies these […]
- Impact of Internet Shutdowns on Kashmiri Youth ()
The Kashmir Observer has documented the impact of long-lived Internet shutdowns on the young people in Kashmir. As is clear from our map of the frequency of shutdown events, India is a repeat offender where Internet shutdowns are concerned. The political unrest in the Kashmir region has been used to justify the long-lived shutdown of […]